Thursday, February 2, 2012

Bowling For Columbine

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” – The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution


I found Bowling for Columbine to be an excellent documentary on more than just the terrible school shooting that occurred at Columbine high school. The film offered a great insight into the gun ethos of America because guns are not just a weapon in this country they are for many a way of life and a culture. For this reason a close examination was very necessary. That is why I particularly loved the structure of the film. Moore took us on a journey through gun country USA and I was hooked on the ride. For me the introduction to the film says a lot about this country and really sets the tone for the rest of the documentary. As the film begins he walks into a bank in Michigan asking to open an account, when the teller asks which kind of account he responds “I want the account where I can get the free gun”. Nowhere else in the world are you going to be able to walk into a bank and leave with not only your check book but rifle as well.

More than just the bank scene I really enjoyed how he led up to his coverage of the shootings themselves. Moving past his account of the gun friendly environment in America he gave an account of the violence friendly America. While speaking to Evan McCollum, of the arms manufacturer Lockheed and Martin, Moore draws a possible connection between the production weapons of mass destruction being built Littleton and the possible influence that could have on the kids who committed the shooting. After responding that he didn’t see the connection because these weapons are only used to defend the United States Mr. McCollum stated “We don’t just get irritated by somebody and just cause we’re mad drop a bomb or shoot at them. Moore used this moment to parade incidents over the past 50 years of the US helping to displace governments and support bloody revolutions where we did almost exactly what Mr. McCollum said we do not do. I think doing this set the mood for understanding the violent climate in which these attacks took place.

Additionally Moore’s film makes great note of the very notion that we have been discussing in class, the “Mean World syndrome”. This gets summed up in my opinion no better than by Marilyn Manson when he says “I definitely can see why they would pick me, because I think it’s easy to throw my face on a T.V. because I’m in the end a poster boy for fear… you’re watching the new you’re being pumped full of fear… it’s just a campaign of fear and consumption”. Everyone was ready to jump down Mason’s throat and make him this sort of scapegoat but in doing so I think they were only propagating a culture of fear and not addressing the real issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment